The Inciting Event
Meg Vann assists authors to develop, strengthen, and polish works-in-progress through three levels of editing: developmental, structural, and copyediting. She also provides group workshops on request.
Specialising in crime and thriller fiction, Meg is also adept across the range of popular, genre and literary fiction, as well as in publishing and grant writing.
Meg has 15 years’ experience in the craft and business of writing, and is a passionate advocate for creative writers.
Working with Meg, you will receive expert advice, creative inspiration, and industry insight, all delivered in an empowering writer-development model that supports you to find and grow your voice, knowledge, and readership.
Working with Meg will not guarantee publication – that depends on the whims of the market. Nor will it guarantee you meet your contractual or self-determined deadline for manuscript submission – that depends on you!
It will galvanise you to progress your creative writing project in line with your goals, and to enjoy doing it.
Meg does more than make stories better stories – she makes writers better writers.
Developmental editing is ideal for writers with a new idea or work-in-progress who seek ongoing mentorship, feedback, and training. Support offered includes creative inspiration, project planning, genre intelligence, writing feedback, publication goal-setting, and grant advice.
Developmental Editing Rates:
- The Grand Bundle ($1,500.00), which includes:
- 5 one-hour Zoom sessions with Meg
- Feedback on 100 pages* of manuscript or related material
- Ad hoc: $180.00 per hour, plus $120.00 per reading 20 pages* of manuscript or related material.
Structural reports are available for completed manuscripts. Meg identifies strengths and weaknesses in the manuscript and offers potential solutions, focussing on the major drivers of story: character, context/setting, plot, pace, theme, and tone, as well as flagging research or legal issues. Meg emails the report to the writer, and offers a brief follow-up Zoom appointment to clarify any questions.
Structural Editing Rates:
- Short fiction (up to 50 pages*): $10.00 per page of manuscript
- Reports for short fiction are generally 500-1,000 words long.
- Long-form fiction (60,000-100,000 words): $2,000.00-$3,000.00
- Reports for long-form fiction are generally 2,000-3,000 words long.
Occasionally, Meg will take on copyediting jobs, chiefly for manuscripts she has worked with at the developmental or structural level of edit as above. Copyediting identifies and offers solutions for errors and infelicities at the line level of writing, including syntax, grammar, spelling, punctuation repetition, clarity, and tone. Note, while copyediting does correct line-level errors, it does not include proofreading.
- Short fiction (up to 50 pages*): $5.00 per page
- Longform fiction (60,000-100,000 words): $1,000.00-$2,000.00
Meg is also available to provide stimulating, practical, and savvy training and development for your writers’ group on a range of topics, including:
- Creative Writing for Beginner and/or Emerging Writers
- Crime and Thriller Writing
- Writing Short Stories and/or Novellas
- Research for Creative Writing
- Editing Fiction
- Grant Application Writing
- Pathways to Publication: Find Your Readers
- One-hour seminar $350.00
- Half-day workshop $590.00 (2 x 75-minute sessions)
- Full-day workshop $990.00 (4 x 75-minute sessions)
Contact Meg with a 100-word summary of your project and your editing or workshop needs.
- Meg can only take on suitable projects according to her availability.
- Rates are not negotiable, with fees payable up-front once a service is agreed on.
- Trade and small press publishers can contact Meg to ask for industry rates, which offer savings for regular work.
*Note: A standard manuscript page is A4, double line-spaced, standard 12-point font, 3cm margins.